Sunday, December 2, 2012

And thus begins December...

I am proud to say that as of 12:23pm on November 30th, 2012, I completed NaNoWriMo for the first time.

Extracting Demons is my first real attempt at novel writing and I am proud of where my first draft ended up. For the next few months, I will be spending extensive time editing and rewriting- a task not for the faint of heart to be sure. I am hoping that somewhere around February it will be ready for self publishing.

I've been going back and forth, wondering if I should go through all the anxiety of submitting query letters and trying to pick up a publishing house/agent/etc. I know in my heart this isn't the novel/series to do that with. Not to say that I don't think my work is good enough for publishing. It definitely will be once I am done with it. However, the genre I'm writing in is currently over-saturated and going the self publishing route makes more sense for me.

Once I get some editing done, I'll begin to post excerpts from the book. Other than that, I'm working on marketing myself, which is an extremely uncomfortable task for me. I just need to grow a set and do it, right?

Side note for anyone doing NaNoWriMo next year:

Using OpenOffice is not the best idea. The word count programming used in OpenOffice is different than the one used on the NaNo site. They count differently and when I first went to validate my word count, it was off by around 1200 words. Not what one wants to see when they think they are done! I double checked my word count using Google Drive. It seemed on par with the NaNo site.

So next year, while I might be writing in OpenOffice, I'll be checking the word count accurately using Google Drive each time I update.


1 comment:

  1. You are one of my Liebster Award nominations! More info is in my blog, but meanwhile, here are the rules:
    Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
    They must also answer the 11 questions the tagger has set for them.
    They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to
    The rules are:
    They must then choose 11 special bloggers to tag & award with the Liebster award with less than 200 followers.
    These lucky bloggers must be told in a comment on their blog.

    Have fun!
    -Allison

    http://hobbittownjewelry.blogspot.com/2012/12/yay-i-won-liebster-award-is-mine.html

    ReplyDelete